How Much Are Guinea Pigs Petsmart
Guinea pigs are one of the most popular small pet options. They are known for their friendly and sociable personality, as well as their relatively easy care requirements. At Petsmart, you can buy Guinea pigs for as little as $20. This price includes everything you need to care for your new pet, including the crate, bedding, food, and care supplies. The cost of providing medical care for your pet may be extra, however.
How Much Are Guinea Pigs Petsmart
At Petsmart, you can adopt a guinea pig for an average of $35-$45. This price includes a cage and the necessary supplies. It may vary depending on where you live and the breed of guinea pig you choose. If you choose to purchase a guinea pig directly from a breeder, you can expect to pay up to $75. Petsmart also offers a variety of care packages for just $55, which includes the supplies you need for your guinea pig.
Is There an Average Cost for Guinea Pigs at Petsmart?
The price of a guinea pig at Petsmart generally depends on the breed, size, and age. On average, a single guinea pig will cost anywhere from $20 to $60. Some of the smaller breeds and specific colors may cost slightly more at around $80.
In addition to the cost of the guinea pig, prospective owners will need to budget for the necessary supplies that go along with proper pet care. This includes items such as cages, food, bedding, and toys. If purchasing a full setup from Petsmart, the total cost can range from $100 to $200. Shoppers can save money by buying supplies from a pet store or a local retailer.
The cost of the supplies for owning a guinea pig is just the beginning. Medical costs, such as vet visits and possible medications, should also be taken into consideration. In general, the total cost of owning a guinea pig can range from $150 to $300.
How Much It Costs to Care for a Guinea Pig?
When considering the cost of caring for a guinea pig, it’s important to consider the lifelong costs of ownership. It’s not just a matter of purchasing a few supplies, regular vet visits and food should also be taken into account. Here’s a breakdown of the costs associated with a guinea pig:
- Guinea Pig Cage: A good-sized cage is the first and most important purchase. Depending on the size of the cage, you can expect to spend anywhere from $40 to $100.
- Bedding: Bedding is necessary to provide your guinea pig with a comfortable resting area. You’ll need to change out the bedding once a week, so it’s important to buy in bulk to save money. It’s a good idea to invest in at least 10 to 15 pounds of bedding, which should cost around $20.
- Food: Guinea pigs need a balanced diet, which should include hay, vegetables, and fortified pellets. Your guinea pig should never go without food, so plan on spending $15 to $30 per month to keep the food dish full.
- Toys and Accessories: You’ll need to add a few fun items to the cage, such as toys, hides, tunnels, and water bottles. These can range in price from $5 to $50.
- Vet Visits: In general, you should plan on taking your guinea pig in for an annual checkup, which will cost around $30 to $50. You’ll also want to factor in any emergency visits, which can range from $50 to $100.
In summary, the cost of owning a guinea pig goes beyond the initial purchase of a cage and supplies. You’ll need to plan on spending between $200 and $500 for the first year of owning a guinea pig. After that, you should expect to spend around $200 per year to keep your guinea pig happy and healthy.
Guinea Pigs Petsmart Prices
- American – This is the most common type of guinea pig, with a short, thick coat in colors ranging from white to black, with patches of other colors. Their temperament is usually very friendly and they typically weigh between 800 and 1,200 grams. They usually range in price from $20 to $30.
- Abyssinian – These guinea pigs have wiry coats that come in varieties of brown, black, and white. Like the American breed, its temperament is usually very friendly, but it will need to be brushed more often due to its coat type. They usually weigh between 500 and 800 grams and are priced between $25 and $55.
- Coronet – This breed has long, thick, soft fur that is usually white or light grey with darker markings. Their temperament can range from shy to very outgoing, and they usually weigh between 1,000 and 1,500 grams. The most expensive among the guinea pig breeds, they usually range in price from $60 to $100.
- Teddy – Teddy guinea pigs have long, silky coats in solid or agouti colors. They are usually very friendly and have an average weight of 500 to 800 grams. Their prices range from $30 to $60.
- Silkie – This type of guinea pig has short, silky fur and usually comes in tortoiseshell, brindle, and silver. They are very friendly and have an average weight of 500 to 700 grams. Their prices can vary from $30 to $60.
Costs of a Guinea Pig According to Physical Attributes
The cost of a guinea pig depends on many factors, including its age, breed, gender, physical attributes, and overall health. A pet store may charge anywhere from $5 to $100 or more for a guinea pig. Generally speaking, well-bred, healthy guinea pigs with desirable physical attributes will cost more. Specialized breeds, such as English, Himalayan, and Abyssinian, can cost $50 to $100 or more. Long-coated varieties like Silkies can cost even more. Older guinea pigs may cost less, but if they have health issues or have been mistreated, they may still be fairly expensive. For instance, a senior guinea pig that requires special medical care may cost $50 or more. Additionally, many pet stores offer discounts for spaying and neutering guinea pigs in order to ensure their health, which can add to the initial cost.
Guinea Pig Prices On Major Online Pet Stores
Guinea pig prices vary widely across online pet stores and can range from a few dollars for an unpedigreed animal to several hundred dollars for a pedigreed line. The cost of a guinea pig depends largely on its breed, age, sex, color, size, and whether it is pedigreed or not. Pedigreed animals tend to cost more because they are usually expected to produce more consistent litter sizes and have better health attributes. Additionally, certain colors or patterns, such as Satin, can cost more due to their rarity.
Petsmart currently offers guinea pigs for about $20 – $80. The cost includes the cost of the guinea pig plus a starter kit of supplies, such as food, bedding, and a habitat. Petsmart carries only standard varieties, which are not pedigreed and most likely come from breeding colonies.
At Amazon.com guinea pigs cost around $30 – $100. They are generally unpedigreed animals from various sources. These animals are usually sold in groups of two or three, so the total cost for a multiple-animal purchase may be considerably higher.
In summary, the cost of buying a guinea pig can range significantly depending on the desired size, color, age, breed, and pedigreed status of the animal. One should be sure to research carefully before buying a guinea pig to ensure that the purchase price is reasonable and that the animal is healthy.
What Is Included in the Purchase of a Guinea Pig From Petsmart?
When purchasing a guinea pig from Petsmart, the following items are typically included in the purchase:
- The guinea pig itself. Depending on the store, the guinea pig may come from a reputable breeder or may already be living in the store.
- Guinea pig food. Most Petsmart stores stock a variety of food specifically designed for guinea pigs. You will typically receive a small bag of this food to get your new pet started.
- A cage with accessories. Depending on the type of cage you buy, you will typically receive small items such as bedding, food dishes, and toys.
- Grooming tools. Guinea pigs require regular grooming, such as brushing their coat and trimming their nails. Petsmart typically sells a kit with everything you need to keep your guinea pig looking their best.
- Veterinary care. Many Petsmart stores partner with local veterinarians who can provide your guinea pig with the care they need. A simple check-up should be done before your guinea pig goes home with you.
- A Care Guide. In addition to providing you with the supplies you need to care for your guinea pig, Petsmart will typically include a detailed guide with instructions on how to properly care for your pet. This guide will help you learn about the specific needs of your guinea pig and give you tips on proper diet, housing, care, and more.
Should Guinea Pigs Be Purchased Alone or With Partners?
Guinea Pigs can make wonderful and enriching companions for humans, but they also make wonderful companions for each other when purchased as pairs. For this reason, guinea pigs should ideally be purchased with partners.
There are a number of benefits to having two, or more, guinea pigs. Above all else, guinea pigs are known to be sociable animals that enjoy the company of others of their kind. Having two guinea pigs will help to ensure that your pet is both mentally and physically healthier, as they will have a companion with which to explore, play, and interact. The two guinea pigs will learn from one another and will take part in various activities that lead to mental stimulation, investment, and exploration. Having two guinea pigs may also reduce the amount of attention that your pet will require from you, as they will be able to keep each other entertained.
In addition to the mental benefits, two guinea pigs may also be safer than one, as guinea pigs typically live longer, healthier lives with companions than those living in isolation. This is because having two guinea pigs usually creates a secure sense of protection that reduces the amount of stress experienced by your guinea pig. Guinea pigs are also often able to provide comfort and help to each other in times of distress. Lastly, having two guinea pigs will help to ensure that you have a better relationship with your guinea pig. As your guinea pig becomes more accustomed to its environment with the help of its partner, it will be more likely to come out of its cage, interact, and play with you.
Ultimately, if you are considering purchasing a guinea pig, it is highly recommended that you do so in pairs. Doing so will provide your new guinea pigs with the required emotional and mental stimulation to assist them in living long, healthy, and happy lives.
How Old Are Guinea Pigs That Are Sold at Petsmart
Guinea pigs that are sold at Petsmart are usually between four to eight weeks of age. This is because four weeks is the earliest age that guinea pigs can be weaned from their mothers. At Petsmart, guinea pigs are kept in cages of up to three animals from the same litter. The guinea pigs are often kept in the same cage until they are at least eight weeks old.
At four weeks old, guinea pigs are still dependent on their mothers and typically will not be sold. At six weeks of age, guinea pigs have developed a more adult size and can be weaned. At this age, guinea pigs become more active and are more likely to be purchased by customers. By eight weeks, guinea pigs are large enough that they are ready to go into a home and have the capacity to learn more about their environment.
Guinea pigs are social animals, so Petsmart encourages customers to purchase two guinea pigs at the same time to ensure that the animals are properly socialized and do not become stressed or lonely in their new home. Customers may also find that Petsmart provides bonding and socialization classes specifically for guinea pigs to ensure that new owners are aware of how to care for their new furry friends.
Necessary Items for Your New Guinea Pig
- Cage: Provide your pet with a cage that is large enough for them to move around freely, with plenty of toys and accessories. It should be made of safe materials that won’t harm your pet, and it should also be easy to clean.
- Bedding: Select a bedding material that is soft, absorbent, and non-toxic. Choose something that traps odors well, and make sure to clean and replace it on a regular basis.
- Food: Guinea pigs need a diet of hay, fresh vegetables, and specially-formulated guinea pig food. Make sure to avoid any foods that are high in sugar, as this can lead to serious health problems for your pet.
- Water & Food Dishes: Invest in stainless steel, wrought iron, or ceramic food and water dishes that are easy to clean and are heavy enough that your pet can’t knock them over.
- Toys: Guinea pigs need entertainment, too! Look for items such as chew toys, tunnels, and other accessories to keep your pet happy and engaged.
- Grooming Supplies: A guinea pig needs to be groomed periodically, so pick up some brushes, combs, and nail clippers for your pet’s regular maintenance.
Reviews For Guinea Pigs Petsmart
Overall, reviews for Guinea Pigs at Petsmart are mostly positive. Most customers felt that the animals were well taken care of and that the knowledgeable staff was helpful in helping customers to pick the best pet for their family. Pricing was also viewed favorably, with some customers noting that the prices were competitive when compared to other pet stores. Other reviews mentioned that the selection of cages, toys, and other accessories was extensive. Finally, the store was noted for having a pleasant smell and clean atmosphere.
Q. How much does 1 guinea pig cost?
A. The cost of a guinea pig will vary depending on where you purchase it, the type of guinea pig, and any additional supplies or services associated with the purchase. Generally, a basic guinea pig can cost between $10 to $50.
Q. How much is it to buy a pet guinea pig?
A. The cost of buying a pet guinea pig varies depending on several factors, such as breed, age, and whether it needs any special care. On average, a pet guinea pig can cost anywhere from $20 to $50.
Q. How old are guinea pigs sold at Petsmart?
A. Petsmart usually sells baby guinea pigs that are between 4 and 8 weeks old. The age of each guinea pig may vary slightly.
Q. What breed of guinea pig is expensive?
A. The Silky guinea pig is a rare and expensive breed. It has an incredibly soft and silky coat and is often found in colors such as black, chocolate, beige, and apricot. They are known for their unique appearance, intelligence, and sweet personalities. Due to their rarity, they often come with a high price tag.
In conclusion, the cost of getting a guinea pig from Petsmart can range from $15 to $150 depending on the age, breed, and gender of the animal. The cost goes up with age, as well as if you purchase two guinea pigs at once. If you would also like to purchase supplies such as a bed or cage for your guinea pig, the cost can increase greatly. Ultimately, purchasing a guinea pig from Petsmart is an affordable and convenient option for those looking to get a furry companion.