How Much Are Petsmart Birds
Petsmart birds are one of the most popular pets out there, and with so many different birds available, it’s no wonder why! Whether you’re looking for a beginner species like a budgie or a more advanced option like a macaw, Petsmart has something for everyone. But how much do these birds typically cost? It depends on the type of bird and its age and size, but the average cost of a bird from Petsmart is between $10 and $100. However, rare or exotic birds may cost significantly more.
How Much Are Petsmart Birds
Petsmart birds range in price from as little as $10 for a Finch or a Budgie to more than $400 for exotic birds like Macaws or Cockatoos. The exact cost of a bird will depend on its species, age, and color. Costs will also vary depending on where you live due to local taxes and other factors. Additionally, there are many other costs associated with owning a bird, including bird cages, bird toys, bird food, and bird supplies.
Availability Of Birds At Petsmart
At Petsmart, you can find a variety of different parrot-type birds, including budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds, and parakeets. Parrots, such as macaws, African greys, and Amazons, are also available. Smaller pet birds, such as finches, canaries, and doves are also available.
Types of Birds Available At Petsmart
- Parrots: Parrots are brightly colored, intelligent birds that often make perfect pets. They require a large cage and a lot of attention from their owners. At Petsmart, companion parrots include macaws, cockatoos, conures, parakeets, African Greys, and parrotlets, as well as other birds.
- Doves: Doves are quieter than many other birds, making them better for indoor ownership. Common dove types available at Petsmart are ringnecks, diamond doves, and mourning doves.
- Finches: The most popular variety of finch available at Petsmart is the zebra finch, although society finches, canaries, and other varieties are sometimes available. Because of their size and relative quietness, they are often preferred by apartment and condo dwellers.
- Cockatiels: Cockatiels are a popular pet bird kept in many households. They require moderate care and regular grooming and can live up to 20 years.
- Canaries: The canaries are small, long-lived birds that do not need a lot of attention. They come in a variety of colors and are usually hardy birds that will sing happily.
Costs of Popular Bird Breed At Petsmart
The cost of popular bird breeds at Petsmart depends on a variety of factors, including breed, size, and availability. For instance, husky parakeets, which tend to be one of the more popular smaller parakeet choices, usually cost around $25. Cockatiels, which are a popular mid-sized pet bird, can range from $50 up to $90. Larger birds such as macaws or African gray parrots tend to cost significantly more, typically ranging from $400 up to $1500. Depending on the breed and availability, Petsmart also offers adoption over purchases. Adoption fees tend to be lower than the price of purchasing a bird.
How Much Do Parakeets Cost At Petsmart?
Parakeets (or budgies) typically cost between $20 and $50 at Petsmart. Prices can vary due to individual store inventory and availability, as well as whether or not the pet includes an enclosure. Prices typically include all necessary supplies, such as food and a cage.
How Much Do Cockatiels Cost At Petsmart?
The cost of cockatiels varies greatly and is dependent on several factors, including species, age, and color. At Petsmart, prices range from around $50 to $200 depending on the specific bird you’re looking for.
Captive-bred pet store cockatiels typically cost the most. Generally, the larger, more brightly colored birds will cost more than smaller, drabber specimens. If you’re looking for a common grey, you’ll pay approximately $50-$90 for a young bird. Young hand-fed cockatiels that have been socialized may cost up to $200.
At Petsmart, you may also find birds that are a bit older and no longer completely tame. Though they will require a bit more skill in handling, they still make excellent pets and can usually be tamed with some patience and love. These birds may cost anywhere from $20 to $50.
It’s also possible to purchase cockatiels from breeders who specialize in color mutations. Color mutations include white-faced cockatiels, lutino cockatiels, and pearl cockatiels. These birds can often be more expensive than the basic gray cockatiels. Prices can vary from $150-$200 or more depending on the rarity of the mutation.
In addition to the cost of the bird, you should also factor in costs for supplies. A large cage, food, food dishes, toys, and a variety of perches should all be added to your budget when considering the cost of owning a cockatiel.
How Much Do Finches Cost At Petsmart?
Finches are a popular and attractive choice of pet for many. At Petsmart, you can find a variety of finch species that vary in cost. Generally, the average cost of a finch ranges from $20 – $50, depending on the species. Some of the more popular and common species of finch, such as the Society Finch and the Zebra Finch, typically cost around $20 per bird. On the other hand, rarer finches, such as the Gouldian Finch, may cost up to $50 or more per bird.
Petsmart also sells bird cages for finches, but these generally range in cost from about $50 to $100 or more. Some cages may also come with additional supplies, such as bird toys, feeders, and perches.
In addition to the actual cost of the finches and the cage, owners should also be prepared to pay for accessories such as bird food, toys, and medical supplies. Bird seed mixes for finches typically range between $10 and $20, while bird toys can cost anywhere from $5 to $15. Medical supplies, such as vitamin supplements and parasite treatments, can also add to the cost of owning a finch.
How Much Do Canaries Cost At Petsmart?
At Petsmart, canaries can range in price from around $60 – $90 depending on the type and age of the bird. The most common pet canary breeds include American Singer, American Show, British Singer, and American Roller Canaries. Canaries may vary in color, size, singing ability, and personality. Typically, an older, more experienced canary would cost more due to its ability to learn and sing than a younger canary.
When purchasing a canary at Petsmart, it is important to consider what type of bird you are looking for. They carry a wide variety of canaries with different features. Besides considering the type of canary, you may also want to look at the age of the bird. Older birds may be more expensive, but can also provide the same level of experience as a younger canary.
In addition to the cost of the canary, you will also need to purchase a cage, food, and various other supplies. Be sure to budget additional money for these items to ensure your pet has everything he or she needs.
Finally, it is important to remember that the cost of caring for a canary can increase over time. Although the initial cost may not break the bank, you should be prepared and budget for any medical costs or other unforeseen expenses. It is also important to consider the time commitment involved in caring for a canary and if you have the necessary resources to provide everything it needs.
How Much Do Doves Cost At Petsmart?
The cost of doves at Petsmart can vary greatly. The price of each individual dove depends on the store, the type of bird, and its age. Baby birds tend to be cheaper, while adult, established birds can cost more.
Doves at Petsmart typically range in price from $50 to $100 per bird. These prices can vary depending on the type and age of the bird, as well as any additional supplies that may be included such as cages or other accessories. Also, if you choose to purchase multiple birds, you may be able to get a discount in some cases.
In addition to the cost of the bird, there are other associated costs to consider. Petsmart also offers products such as bird food, supplemental vitamins and minerals, and toys for your dove. All of these depend on the type of bird purchased and can range from very inexpensive items to more expensive items.
In general, the cost of a dove from PetSmart will depend on the individual bird, as well as any associated supplies and accessories that may be included. The prices can range from around $50 to over $100, depending on the bird’s age, type, and any other products included.
How Much Do Conures Cost At Petsmart?
Conures cost between $50-$400 at Petsmart, depending on the type of bird. Generally, smaller birds like the Green-cheeked or Sun Conures cost less at $50-$150, whereas larger birds like the Jenday or Patagonian cost more at $150-$400.
The price also doubles if the conure has been hand-fed, meaning it was removed from its nest and bottle-fed as a baby. Hand-fed birds tend to be more social and more amenable to handling than those which were parent-fed.
Additionally, the price of the bird may depend on its overall health and condition. If the bird needs veterinary care such as vaccinations, debeaking, or medical treatment for a health issue, this can add to the cost.
When you purchase from a Petsmart, you can also expect to pay for the cage (typically $100-$200 for a small one, but more for larger cages), food and supplies, veterinary care, and other care and maintenance costs associated with owning a pet bird. The cost of the bird itself only rises if they have been hand-fed or has an underlying health issue that requires treatment.
Factors Affecting Bird Costs At Petsmart
- Seasonality: Petsmart often has sales during particular seasons, especially around holidays, which can affect bird prices. For example, a bird may be priced lower during the winter holidays or summer sales events.
- Type: The breed or species of bird can affect the price of the bird at Petsmart. Some species are more expensive than others, such as Cockatoos or Cockatiels.
- Age: The age of the bird can also affect the price of the bird. Older birds may cost more than younger birds because they are considered to be more “established” and easier to train since they have been around longer.
- Supplies: Depending on what supplies you need to purchase for the bird, the overall cost may be increased. Items like bird cages, food, toys, and other things may need to be purchased before taking the bird home from Petsmart, increasing the overall cost.
- Health Status: The health of the bird can also affect the cost of the bird. Healthier birds may cost more than sick birds and may require extra medications or vet bills to ensure that they remain healthy.
What Supplies Does Your Pet Bird Need?
Your pet bird will need the following supplies:
- Cage: This should provide enough room for your bird to spread its wings and move around comfortably. Make sure there is a variety of perches available for your bird to use.
- Food and Water Dishes: These should be secure and appropriately sized for your bird. Look for dishes that are wide and shallow to prevent spills and are easy to clean.
- Bird Food: A proper diet is essential for the health of your pet bird. Look for age-appropriate birdseed mixes and fresh nut and fruit treats.
- Grit and Supplements: These provide your pet bird with the necessary vitamins and minerals they need for a complete and balanced diet.
- Toys: Stimulate your pet bird’s mind with play toys. This can include bells, mirrors, ladders, swings, and more.
- Health Care and Grooming Supplies: Keep your pet bird in optimal health with the appropriate supplies. This can include cuttlebones, supplements, grooming perches, and the occasional bath.
- A Varied Perch Selection: Make sure your pet bird has access to a variety of appropriate perches. Natural tree branches, cuttlebone, and health perches make good choices.
- A Bird Bath: This can help your bird stay clean and is a great way to help them cool down in the summer. Just be sure to keep their bath inside their cage and the water shallow.
What To Expect When Buying A Bird At Petsmart
When buying a bird at Petsmart, there are a few things you should expect.
First, the birds available at Petsmart come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and breeds. It is important to take the time to research the type of bird you want before deciding to purchase one. You should pay attention to the bird’s age, personality, any special needs it may have, and the breed’s expected lifespan. Additionally, the store’s selection of birds can change so it may be necessary to visit the store multiple times over the course of a few weeks to get an idea of the types of birds available.
Once you have settled on the type of bird you want, it is important to inspect it thoroughly. Look for any signs of illness such as crusting around the beak, nose, or eyes. Make sure the feathers are smooth, plump, and not discolored. Additionally, you should check to make sure the bird is not overheated and that it is not in distress.
Petsmart also offers advice on cage and avian care. They can help you determine the size, type, and accessories for the bird’s cage, such as toys and branches for the bird to perch on. They can also provide advice on diet, tips on keeping the bird healthy, and answer any questions about the bird’s life cycle and natural behaviors.
Finally, Petsmart often offers adoption events and discounts on bird-related items. It is also important to note that the bird’s food and other supplies (such as toys and perches) can be purchased at other stores.
Tips for Buying A Bird at Petsmart
- Research the Species: Before you purchase a bird at Petsmart, it is important to research the species you plan to buy to make sure it is a good fit for you and your lifestyle. Different species have different needs and requirements, so it is important to make sure you find one that is suited to your home and lifestyle.
- Visit Petsmart and Spend Sometime With Each Bird: Before you buy a bird at Petsmart, it is essential to visit the store and spend some time with each bird to ensure that they are suitable for your home. It is important to observe the birds’ general behavior, as birds can display different behaviors in captivity than they do in the wild.
- Learn About Care and Feeding Requirements: Before buying a bird at Petsmart, it is important to learn about the care and feeding requirements of the species you are interested in. Different species have different dietary needs, so it is important to make sure you have all the necessary materials to properly support your new pet.
- Consider Budget: Before investing in a bird at Petsmart, it is important to consider your budget. Birds can be costly and there are various costs associated with owning such as food, cages, toys, and more.
Q. Are Petsmart birds’ wings clipped?
A. Petsmart birds typically have their wings clipped, meaning that the primary feathers of one or both wings have been cut in order to limit the bird’s flight capabilities. This is mainly done for safety reasons, as clipped wings can help to prevent the bird from flying into areas where it could get hurt or lost.
Q. How much are birds from Petsmart?
A. The cost of birds from Petsmart will vary depending on the bird species and size. Birds range from as low as $10 for smaller species such as canaries and parakeets, up to hundreds of dollars for larger species such as macaws, parrots, and toucans.
Q. Does Petsmart vaccinate their birds, or do you have to vaccinate them?
A. No, Petsmart does not vaccinate their birds. Customers are encouraged to speak with their local veterinarians about vaccinating their birds.
Q. What is the cheapest bird to own?
A. The cheapest bird to own is typically a bird native to the owner’s area. This can include parakeets, cockatiels, budgerigars, finches, and doves. These birds often require much less costly equipment than more exotic birds, and they can usually be purchased for a few hundred dollars or less. Some common species can even be found for as little as $20.
If you are looking for a pet bird, Petsmart is a great place to start looking. Petsmart offers a variety of birds at a range of prices, from a few dollars for small birds like canaries and budgies to hundreds of dollars for more exotic birds like macaws and African greys. The cost of a Petsmart bird can also vary depending on the type of bird, its age, and its size. In addition to buying birds, Petsmart also provides food and accessories, feeders, cages, and more, making it a one-stop shop for all of your pet bird needs.